Friday, January 27, 2006

The K word....

Knitting! I think I've been knitting forever. And, it really started as a fluke...well, actually, it was because I just HAD TO HAVE this gorgeous dress that I saw in the department store window when I was 19. Only, it cost about a year's salary - so, I thought I would look for a knitting store. You have to realize I lived in Sunny Florida - had lived there since I was 3 or 4. But, lo and behold, there it was "The Yarn and Knit Shop" and it was just across town.

I was there! I told the owner, Jo, that I wanted to knit a dress. Of course, I had never picked up a pair of knitting needles in my entire life! She thought I should start smaller - but, I was determined! And, so I knit my very first dress. From then on there was no stopping me. I knit several dresses, sweaters, and afghans. The dresses and sweaters I wore...the afghans were gifts mostly...

I learned how to knit right handed (I am left handed) but no one ever asked when they were teaching me - so, I knit right handed (the only other thing I do right handed is play golf - again - no one asked when I took lessons).

Many a Saturday was spent with the group that hung out at Jo's shop. We shared each other's joys, births, deaths, weddings, dinners and a joy of knitting. We took trips togther, met once a month for a nice dinner out, and laughed a lot. After my daughter was born, I rarely went on Saturdays anymore, although I would go in and buy my yarn. Some of us lost touch with each other...and eventually, Jo's shop closed. She and her husband had reached retirement age - actually, past retirement age. I doubt that she is still with us ... except in our minds ... and each time I pick up my knitting needles, I think of her patience in teaching me to make that first dress!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home