Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ten on Tuesday on Thursday...


I graduated high school in 1964...forty-four years ago! I lived in the South. Talk about different - I would think so!

1) The high school I attended was segregated. There were no black students there. We didn't have black neighbors and in most cases black friends.

2) Our restaurants were also segregated. Blacks were not allowed to drink from the same water fountains and had to ride in the back of the bus.

3) We didn't have calculators as we know them now. We had adding machines that had a tape that printed out. They were clunky and a pain in the you-know-where.

4) There was no cable TV - we only had network television. And, damn little of that! I can remember having networks added!

5) There were no DVDs or compact discs. Music came in the form of 45s and LPs (33-1/3). You played your music on a record player which needed electricity therefore you could not carry it with you. Eventually we had portable radios but they were big and clunky.

6) We lived through the Bay of Pigs thinking that we were going to be bombed at any minute by Cuba! (And, with Cuba being right at the end of our state - it was scary!)

7) We watch in horror as our President was assassinated...we cried for days - and watched his widow and her small children walk behind his casket. We thought our world as we knew it had ended.

8) There were no computers or internet. We wrote letters and used postage stamps to mail them. We used the library a lot - or if our parents could afford it we owned a set of encyclopedias. (We did) We did have typewriters - but no copy machines...so, it you wanted more than one copy of what you were typing or a copy for your records you used carbon paper...nasty stuff that left your fingers tips either purple or black.

9) We had no malls to shop in. Sears and JC Penney were the big stores in town and they were stand alone stores. Our downtown had Grants and Kress department stores. During Christmas holidays I worked in the candy counter at Kress. Yes, they had a real candy counter and you could buy candy by the pound or piece. We were allowed to eat as much candy as we wanted - and by the second day of working no one usually ate more than one or two pieces - if they ate any at all - because they got so sick the first day!

10) We did not have any big chain grocery stores - we had two local chain stores - Publix and Kash N Karry. I worked at Kash N Karry in my senior year as a cashier. I had to punch in the numbers of the items - there were no bar codes or bar code readers.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those were certainly different times. I graduated 20 years ago this year... And, I can't believe how things have changed since I was a kid, even!

Thanks for sharing!

Michele sent me by.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Indeed! And I remember 78 records when there weren't even 45's....And President Roosevelt was the only President I knew. I remember when he died...A sad sad Very Sad day...And more, as well. Flying in Prop Planes...we had not Jets....Radio was all we had as amusement and we were THRILLED to have it.
There were NO Supermarkets at all. Just Mom & Pop shops...Then came The A & P.


I Graduated in High School in 1949...so those many more years make a difference in what we had and didn't have and the Attitudes about everything. I must say, living in New York of course there was Racism....but it wasn't as horrifically inhuman as the south. It wasn't good, but it was, in many ways, better in New York, particularly in the music business. Very interesting Post Sara....We forget how much things have changed in so very many ways. This was a wonderful reminder.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never lived through obvious segregation like that. i can't imagine what it was like.

really good post.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I graduated in 1967. Savanna High School in Anaheim, California. Altho I'm originally a Yankee. My Dad was in the Navy ... jet mechanic. I remember living in Tennessee when I was in the 3rd grade and being horrified that blacks were not even allowed to go to the Zoo the same day as whites. They had 1 day a week they could visit the Zoo. Oldoldlady of the hills graduated the year I was born so she must be about my Mom's age. It's amazing how MUCH has changed since she graduated and even more amazing ... I'm an old lady knitting computer geek today! LOL

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Janet said...

I graduation high school in 1975...an interesting time to be in high school, to be sure LOL! Living in a small northern town, there were less than 10 black folks in my graduation class. One guy, Jerry, was a friend and I had a huge crush on him LOL! Wonder what happened to him...

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Jerry in Tampa said...

I can relate - I graduated in 1967!!!! You have an awesome blog!!! Congrats!

Michele sent me and I will be back!


Jerry in Tampa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home