Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Evidence...

Recently while unpacking the craft room, I found a small overnight bag. I had not remembered that particular suitcase and curiously opened it. Ahhh…it belonged to Tara, my daughter, and in it were her Barbie dolls, all their clothes, and evidence! Yep, evidence right there for all to see - I used to knit! And, knit damn well, too!

There among the Barbie doll clothes were four (count them – four) hand knitted items that I had lovingly made for her at one time or another.

Two evening gowns, both done in the same pattern, one in bright red and the other in a pale turquoise. The needles must have been a size 01 or 02 because the stitches are very small…but, not nearly as small as the stitches in the light green street length dress. This yarn also had a sheen to it so that it seems to sparkle just a bit. This was done on a size 00 for sure!



Folded rather neatly was a much smaller version of an afghan I had knit for my bed – only this one was the right size for the Barbie doll bed.

Evidence…I created pretty things for my child. And, while I wasn’t the “perfect” mother, I was a mother who loved her child enough to want to create things for her. And, while there are times when I hear only the things that I “should” have done – and the memory can at times be “selective” - I know there is “evidence” out there that I made sure my child had and did what other children had and did…

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those little doll dress things are so cute! It's great you still have them. Will you get a doll to display them on?

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I'm not sure I would have the patience..but then again I knit socks. Thankfully my daughters werent' much into Barbies, so there were no requests for mom to make Barbie clothes.

But if they would have asked..I would have done it in a heartbeat...it's what the good moms do.

:o)

Ann

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had an aunt who had Down's Sundrome, and had an IMMENSE connlection of Barbies. As a teenager, not being an experienced knitter, I had made blamkets and rugs for her Barbie Townhouse. I never did make clothing, but I did find pattern books for dresses and wedding gowns as I was cleaning out my knitting stuff. memories...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home