Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day Trippin...

During the Summer Reading Program, I read a biography of Peyton Place author, Grace Metalious and, of course, I was totally intrigued by her and her life...

She was a gutsy writer who knew how to weave a story! Peyton Place is filled with characters each of which is carefully drawn. Grace really had to work to keep the story going and not let her characters all sound alike or disappear. Each of the many story lines in the book never failed to deliver and wove throughout the book bring it all together to create a very satisfying read.

So, to celebrate 50 years since Peyton Place was published...Yes, Peyton Place was published in 1956. I was 10! I asked Scarlett if we could go for a Sunday drive to Gilmanton...which was Grace's home and where she is now buried. I felt it was only fitting to pay my respects to Grace!

Gilmanton is close to Laconia - so, this was an area of New Hampshire we had not seen...we searched for the Smith Meeting House Cemetery but to no avail. Finally we stopped and asked at a local store and were given directions. A couple who was in the store looked at us and asked: "Going to see Grace?", I replied, "Yes". They chatted with us - they had known her and lived near her. They said that folks come by to pay their respects to Grace - so, I didn't feel so silly.



So, Happy 50th Anniversary, Grace! You knocked their socks off!

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Digitalgran said...

I really enjoyed that Sara. I loved Peyton Place when it was on TV in the UK and would not miss one episode. I am just a few years older than you, but I can't remember when it was televised.
Little did I think then, that I would be chatting to someone who spoke to old friends of Grace Metalious. So I will join you in paying my respects to her. Mags

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been there! I loved Peyton Place, and my grandparents used to live in Gilmanton, so I've been to that cemetery many times. It's a lovely part of the state.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Barbara Delinsky has a book out - I think it's called "Looking for Peyton Place" and the main character really identifes with Grace. It's eerie, actually, that I found your blog and you had this post, while I am listening to this book. You might want to check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home