Thursday, March 09, 2006

New Socks...

Began knitting a new pair of socks for Scarlett immediately after the Knitting Olympics ended. The yarn is a 100% acrylic and I think I am actually going to get both socks out of one skein of yarn. It is a varigated worsted weight yarn and the colors remind me of a painted desert.

But, that's not the big deal part of this - the big deal is that they are knitting up beautifully and aren't huge! Mainly because I did a stitch gauge swatch. I started out with the 5's - then went to 4's - and finally 3's - I got my stitch gauge of 5-1/2 stitches to an inch on a 3. The socks feel soft yet tight and warm...does that make sense???

When I took my first class on sock making - I was not getting the gauge and my socks fit but they are a little loose - meaning just a tad big ... think wear with another thin pair under them and use for snowmobiling or really frigid New Hampshire days. My teacher (a really nice guy) said that I was close enough to gauge - and that the really important thing was to learn how to knit the socks...which I agree was the important thing at the time.

When I mentioned the fact that I am knitting with worsted weight on a 3 to the lady who runs one of the yarn shops I go to - she said I should used the 5 and cut back on the number of stitches - maybe I will try that with the next pair and see how that works...but I'm not too sure how to go about that and figure out my decreases and my heel flap.

Any suggestions...

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's me, but I agree with you on how you are doing it: I'd try to get the gauge than trying to re-draft the pattern. I think the number of stitcvhies is important to the overall fit and style of the sock. If you start cutting out stitches, I'd think it would have adverse effects somewhere else. I wouldn't change anything with how you are doing it. But that's me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home