Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Decisions...and Choices...

I have been all a fluster lately and totally undecisive about what I expect from my creative self! And, I have come to some major decisions and major choices in my creative world.

Part of all this soul-searching has come my from my thinking that I wanted to spin...now I have to admit Scarlett has been more than patient with me and I am sure if I said "this is what I want!" she would try and move heaven and earth to make sure I got what I wanted. But, I have been very undecisive. So, last Saturday we went looking at the process and what was actually involved in this "spinning" thing and I made some very serious discoveries.

1) Spinning wheels are cute...but they require some effort in making them go...and I am not one of those coordinated people - you know the kind "rub tummy in one direction, while rubbing head in other". I have tried various wheels from different friends and while they tell me "it will come with time", I find it frustrating at best.

2) There are far too many other gadgets that need to go with this wheel...and when I saw those "rip your hands apart" things they call carders...well, I began to have second thoughts.

3) The fleece comes from a sheep and what I currently own is "raw fleece"...it is dirty...it has things in it...Now you must understand - this woman does not get her hands dirty...I resist all efforts and attempts to get my hands into soil (like in gardening). So you can imagine my feelings about fleece. The bottom line on that one is that I am an "admirer" of beauty around me...I do little to create that outside garden beauty.

4) What I really love is creating from the finished product - The WOOL...there are so many patterns I want to knit, yarns I want to use, and ideas about dying both yarn and fabric floating through my head that I feel that making the product with which to create is not a necessity. Do I want to make my own fabric??? NO! So, what was I thinking when I thought I needed to create the yarn that I knit with?

5) The knitting with yarn and the quilting with fabric and the embellishing of both of those are truly my passions - and I love creating within those arenas. I love beading and am finding new and different ways to embellish both mediums...as well as making a little jewelry...and other beaded items.


So, after a long day out and about exploring the options of my learning to spin and looking deep within myself at what I truly enjoyed...I decided that spinning wasn't really something that would add to my creative pleasure...but rather would take time from the things that I truly enjoyed doing.

8 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

It's true that spinning eats up a big chunk of time, and if you don't have all the time in the world to devote to crafting, you do have to decide what you want to give priority to. For me, it was spinning, and now I barely knit! But it's different for everyone.

And I'm always available to help you turn fleece into yarn that you can knit with, and I'm not always as slow as I've been this time! I've had some unbloggable family emergencies eating into my crafting time for the last two months, but I'm slowly plugging away at it.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Cheryl,

I think what was eating at me was this overwhelming feeling that there was something "wrong with me" because I wasn't totally enthralled with spinning. Make sense???

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Sprite said...

Don't feel bad, Sara, I'm not enthralled with spinning either! I will get my hands dirty (if my gloves leak) in the garden though. Ewww to dirty hands! LOL @ things in that sheep! I had a sheep named Chester, once. He follwed me every where. *grins* (ok, that is a true story...I'm not making it up!)

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy spinning as the art itself. I don't like to knit with my own handspun. (Maybe some day I will weave with it, though.)
BUT (a BIG but here) I only use prepared fibers. I WILL NOT use dirty fleece. Dyeing roving or prepared fiber is ok, but I just don't care to "pick poo" or stuff, and soaking, etc. The preparing from fresh/raw/whatever is an art itself, and I respect those that are able to do it. Just not me. (I have those hand-rippers you speak of. They are pretty sitting on a shelf.)
Now, my trunk full of rovings and dyed fibers, THAT is a great load of fun to open and play with.
But, for you, you HAVE your art. There is nothing wring with you NOT wanting to spin. You make your beautiful quilts and other art pieces. And there are so many hours in the day.
So, no worries.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, it's good to have your decision worked out, isn't it? I'd been wondering about spinning too and came to a similar decision as you. Not for the same reasons (I love getting my hands into soil and hope to have my own garden some day), but it comes down to the fact that I have a lot I want to knit and don't feel I have enough time for collage, reading, etc.

P.S. Jeff supports my hobbies wonderfully, but he's always said that he draws the line at quilting! Funny, huh?

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Sara,

I am with you in the whole non-spinning thing. I admire those that enjoy it and after dyeing my own yarn I can see the pride of creation.

I have also decided that spinning just isn't my thing...not now..maybe one day.

Ann

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Bugsy said...

Way to go Sara! You tried something new and then thought about it. Not everyone does that. Or think about why it is they aren't all into it!

Its always good to know oneself!

Glad you got the Tulip pattern! Be sure to post a picture of it when you get it done!

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey I would have moved a lot so you could spin but boy am I glad you decided it was not for you......and all you others this is a woman who will not plant in the yard with me!!! and to think she was going to play in the house with dirty fleece, no way

 

Post a Comment

<< Home