Monday, July 10, 2006

Block of the Month...June

My local quilt shop started a new Block of the Month class in June. The class is based on the book Stars by Magic by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. Blocks are being made in either tradional fabrics or batiks...At the first class we paid a nominal fee for the pattern and fabric. Each month thereafter if we bring the completed block back to class we do not have to pay an additional fee. Each class member also bought the book.

I have chosen to work with batiks.

I think this class will be a real challenge for me...mainly because I have never done an entire quilt in batiks...and the other reason is that the blocks will be of varying sizes - 8", 10" and 12". So that will prove to be interesting when the time comes to turn blocks into a quilt top. But, for now I am enjoying working on my blocks. The block above is the June block...and I almost forgot my class was coming up and rushed to finish the block at the last minute. I won't be doing that again...

6 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE to makes quilts with batiks. I'll sew anything if there are batiks involved. They are wonderful fabrics- nice, tight weave, press flat with light starch, and hold a seam like nithing else. And the colors are so rich. And you can use either side, there is no front or back. (That's my biggest draw to them!) And tehy don't tend to stretch as much as the heavier commercial cottons.
Geez, can you tell I LOVE 'em?
You block is cute, and looking forward to the rest of it. It's nice you have a LQS and can join in in this sort of thing. Nothing like that here in the big city.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger jennhx said...

That is beautiful! I love the colors!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I used batik in the green stripe around the outside of the purple and green quilt. I found that tight weave that Dave likes a bit frustrating when trying to hand quilt the thing. I may needed to have used a smaller quilting needle.

But then how the heck would I ever see to thread the darn thing????

:o)

Ann

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the batiks in your block! Very pretty! I'm not a quilter, but I do love the way quilting will take a portion of a pattern and make it into something else entirely new. Excellent job!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Bugsy said...

I love batiks as well for the same reasons as dave gave.

Sharyn Craig has a book called Setting Solutions! Great book, I recommend it.

The block looks great!

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Sprite said...

know absolutely nothing about quilting, but I do own two very special quilts. One, my mom had finished for me. My Great Aunt had started it for me but passed away before she could finish it (many years ago - like when I was many moons younger). The other a close friend/mom made for me. She passed away this past January and I'm basically clinging to the quilt she gave me and wondering how or where I'm going to get a couple of the blocks repaired on the quilt. I may have to learn how just so I can preserve my precious quilt. I'll take pictures one of these days and show you.

As to your quilt block, I just LOVE it!! I love the colors and I love, love, loveeeee the design. It'll be great to see how your quilt progresses. I so appreciate artistic talent in all forms!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home