Thursday, June 29, 2006

Summer Reading - Book 3

While I mentioned that I was going to read a quick romantic fiction book - somehow that idea got sidetracked when I saw a program that spoke of Grace Metalious - the author of Peyton Place. I had no idea that she lived in New Hampshire...of course, I was all of 12 or 13 when I read the book...so, I thought this might be an interesting read. Also, I feel that she will once again be back in the limelight as Sandra Bullock recently signed on to play her in a new movie. Looks like Grace's area of New Hampshire is going to get "hit" on again!!!

Title: Inside Peyton Place: The Life of Grace Metalious
Author: Emily Toth
Pages: 374

Review: I was a tad bit disappointed with this book on various levels...the biggest being that usually with biographies there are photos...there isn't one damn photo in the entire book...and just the jacket has a small photo of Grace Metalious. (The author's photo on the back is larger than the one of Grace)

I found the book to be repetative in many areas...including much about the original book Peyton Place. I think the author spent too much time digesting the novel and susequent novels that were written by Grace than talking about Grace. Although there is much there about her life I felt it was over-shadowed with the other. There was also a lot of showing the similarities of Grace's life and those of her characters - especially in her books which were published after Peyton Place.

But, all in all, the book did give a good picture of the life of an author who was a tad bit ahead of her time and an area of New Hampshire that was entirely too ridged to accept her.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Reading..now that is an interesting concept...

BK (before kids) it was not unusual for me to stay up all night when engrossed in a good book. Then I started taking classes and seemed to have to read all the time and just sort of got turned off about reading.

Most of my book purchasing these days seems to be knitting books, and I have a few of those that are popular knitting reads...I just need to do it.

Maybe I just need a good bodice ripper to get me back into the mood...I have one in mind..found it through the inter-library loan program. I promise to give you a review.

Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home