Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The day from Hell...

As you all know we have several four-footed children...and when they get sick it is the same as having a sick human child only they can't tell us what is wrong...and it seems that yesterday was the day for three to scare their moms...

Rupert and Venus decided that they were not going to eat on Monday night...and then they both got sick to their stomach. It was a mess and by Tuesday morning when I tried to feed Rupert and give him water - he was having no part of it and was still sick to his tummy...so off to the vet with him. Tammy (our roommate) ended up taking Venus for the same thing.

Then last night I was sitting in the library - it is two steps down from the living room. Suddenly Zac (the Jack/Dalmation) started floundering - I don't know any other way to describe it...he could not stay up on his legs - they were going in every direction. At first I thought he had fallen off the stairs that are between the kitchen and living room and go to the second floor and broken a leg. But, no!

I grabbed him up in my arms and he was totally stiff...and I could not get his attention. I screamed at him and he didn't respond - I set him in a chair - and grabbed his little face and blew and bit at his snout. He started coming around - then he was fine except that it took about 30 minutes for him to catch his breath and his heart rate to slow down.


He has had this happen before when he fell off a chair and hit his chest and had the wind knocked out of him...at least that is what the vet thought...but now I don't know...so am waiting word from her as to what we are going to do...

I was alone...and it scared the heck out of me...

5 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, how terrifying for you to be going through this with three of them at a time! I hope all are going to be ok. Have you had any word yet? It's all so horrible because they can't let you know their symptoms, and they are covered in fur, so you can't see anything. Argh!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Deb R said...

THe episode with Zac sounds like a siezure. Has your vet tested for epilepsy?

I hope they're all better soon!

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, sounds like some sort of seizure or something. A very similar thing happened to my dog a few years ago, same symptoms you describe. The vet decided it was a seizure brought on by an allergy to popcorn (the dog had just been eating some popcorn).

I don't know if I agree with the diagnosis, seems like an odd sort of allergic reaction. And he came out of it with no medication or anything. But we've never given him popcorn again, just in case.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh, hugs Sara! That sounds so scary! I hope it doesn't take long to hear from the vet!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Wow, that's scary stuff..I hope everything works out ok.

Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home