Friday, July 14, 2006

Challenge Quilt...

One of the quilt guilds I belong to - Cornish Quilters - issued a challenge this year. The theme was "Summer Garden" and it is our interpretation of a summer garden. Size of the quilt was to be 12" to 24" and could be square or rectangular. Other rules were: Must be three layers, quilted or tied, have binding, ready to hang, and could use any fabric.

This is my entry and it is due on July 24th. I machine pieced the block, hand quilted around each iris, and 1/4 inch from each seam. The quilts will be displayed in the Town Office Lobby from August 22 to September 29...and the winner of the viewer's Choice will win $50.00. Each participant gets a fat quarter.


When I lived in Tennessee - my quilt guild there would make small wall hangings featuring different items relating to our area and state. Each member would get a kit containing the fabric and pattern and make at least one wall hanging that would be sold in our local quilt store. The quilt store furnished the pattern, fabric, and batting to create the blocks and would deduct those costs as the blocks were sold with the remainder going to the guild treasury. Members could buy a kit for themselves at a nominal cost.

This was the block that was used in 2004. I never got around to making my kit up as we were in the process of moving. I have all the kits (never made) from 2000 - 2004 and patterns for 1998 and 1999.

My goal is to complete a small quilt each month for the next year. Some of these small quilts will be the blocks that my Tennessee guild made. Others will be UFOs.

8 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I totally forgot to put the size of the quilt. It is 12-1/4 inches square.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that's adorable! And you HAND QUILTED it? That's nuts. Very pretty, though.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Bugsy said...

Very pretty. I like the quilting. I've tried hand quilting and didn't like what I put out. Of course, it was my first quilt, although I haven't tried hand quilting again.

Perhaps I'll try again with something small like you've done here.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I love the irises, so pretty and such a neat shadow box effect.

There's something about hand quilting that I enjoy--not the underneath finger with all the pricks...(no comment) :o)

Ann

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This iris creation is truly beautiful. I'm lost in admiration.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Sprite said...

Ohhh, that is so pretty! Irises are one of my top 5 fav. flowers! The shadow box affect gives this a whole different dimension, too. Jo (my mom/friend that passed over in Jan.) hand quilted all her quilts, too. Man, that's a LOT of work! So beautiful!!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely! My Mom had an Iris bed in her flower gardens - this is like looking at them through the window of her dining room! Love it!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger quilting1 said...

What a beautiful quilt. You are extremely talented. I couldn't do that if I tried.

Loved your posts. Please if you get a chance, check out mine at Quilts for a Cause blogger site.

Not many pictures right now, but working on it. Just don't know how to change some of the links and stuff around.

How did you make that quilt? Really, it is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home