Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What's on your menu?...

This is one of my very favorite meals...it is called "Tomato Pie". I learned about it when we lived in Tennessee - Cattie's Corner,the little restaurant I frequented at lunch served this every week. It was like her signature dish - and you either had to get there early or call ahead and ask her to save you some. Since several people have been sharing their favorite foods, I thought I would share mine... Usually, one would make it in a pie pan...but we really enjoy it - so, I made it in a 13x9 pan. The following recipe is for the pie pan version - if you want to do the 13 x 9 pan - just double everything...

One starts with frozen Hash Browns (the shredded kind) or you could shred your own potatoes - but, it's easier with the frozen ones...about two cups. You add salt, finely minced onion (2 tablespoons) and two eggs. Mix and spread into pan to make a crust. Bake without any filling for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Once out of the oven, layer tomato slices, (2-3 large tomatoes) into two layers on top of the potato crust. Chop 4 or 5 green onions, mince 1 or 2 garlic cloves, and chop fresh herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) and sprinkle over the tomatoes...

The next step is to take 1 cup of mayonnaise and 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese. Mix together and spread over the tomatoes and mixture of herbs on top. (you can see I started one corner and realized after taking the picture that I had not put in my herbs, onions & garlic - so I did before I finished.)

This is what your dish will look like before you put it back in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes...(check it at 20 and if it looks brown and pretty and the cheese is melted it is done.)

It should look like the above picture when done...
Cut and serve immediately. Enjoy...It is awesome....

5 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that looks soooo yummy!! Look out Sara, I might bring my brood right over for that tasty little treat!!!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Hockey Mom said...

Oh jeez! I know who to make that for. My dh and his business partner are tomato fiends.

Thank you for sharing!

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM, YUM, YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Ann said...

That looks wonderful..YUMMMMMMMM

I am going to need to try that, thanks for sharing.

Ann

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Deb R said...

It looks yummy!!

Have you ever tried making it with drained canned tomatoes during winter months when the 'maters in the produce section are like pink cardboard? (Just curious to know if it'd work!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home