Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My yarn is...

Today I went over to Hodgepodge Yarn Shop - I am so excited to know what goodies Mike gifted me with...

The large 10" across cake that is on a cone and the beige tall cone is yarn that one uses as warp on a loom. I asked if I could use it to knit with - and she said that I could but it would be better if I double stranded it.

The small cakes are used with a shuttle on a loom to create the design I guess - but she said that they are also considered lace weight as they are double stranded even though they are very thin...

But, the best - the fiber I have in the bag - (after she felt it and smelled it) is from a sheep...directly from a sheep - does not appear to be washed - although she said there were some pieces of a lighter gray that appeared to be washed. So, it will need to be washed and then spun into yarn. She also said that it was very beautiful fiber.

I really want to do that - it would be wonderful to have that as yarn that I could knit something out of.

Once things settle down around here and I finish unpacking the office and get the house the way I want it - I am going to get the big floor model loom he left me and take a photo of it. I know the store in Asheville where he bought the loom and I am thinking that I could send a photo of it to them and they could maybe give me information about it. I also have some accessories that I have no idea what to do with. He also gifted me with a triangle loom that he made himself. His partner, Carl, had no idea if there was a book or anything that came with the big loom.

1 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you found out about some of the stuff. The triangle loom is fairly common. There is this link with some good info: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/triloom2.htm
And, if you did a Google for "triangle loom instructions", you'll find LOADS of info. And form the few folks that i know taht do it, it's fairly easy, and yields great results.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home