Friday, September 22, 2006

Shelburne Museum & Ms. O'Keeffe...


The Shelburne Museum is 45 acres of buildings, land, and all sort of gardens. And, this was the only photo I took! At the very entrance...well, in self defense, it was raining most of the day and they would not allow photos in the O'Keeffe exhibit or the quilt exhibit.

If you have never see Georgia O'Keeffe's work in person I highly recommend that you do so. The paintings were breathtaking...and the colors so vibrant! Most of the flower paintings are huge! And, her reason for painting them so large was that all these huge buildings were going up in New York and she was afraid that no one would notice her paintings if they weren't huge like the buildings! How cool is that!!!

We spent quite a bit of time in the exhibit just filling our souls with the beauty. It truly was worth the admission price to see that exhibit.

The quilt exhibit was a disappointment...there were maybe two or three quilts that I liked - I did appreciate the history behind some of the quilts - but they weren't presented well...and the lighting could have been better.

There was a wonderful exhibit of china, glassware, and stuff like that in one building - and it was very interesting. The upstairs had doll houses and some of them were so elaborate and most were quite old.

So...that was our day at Shelburne...

5 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger His Office, My Studio said...

What a great time. I wish I could of been with you.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the O'Keefe exhibit. We have some works of hers in the DC galleries. I know there's a real neat picture of her in the National Portrait gallery.

Blogger finally fixed it to allow those we moved to the Beta Blogger to post comments on non-Beta Blogger sites. About time!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Ann said...

It sounds like you had a great day. I love wandering around in art museums. There is just something about all of that beauty that is inspiring and energizing.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Sprite said...

Oh, I would have loved to have seen that! Lucky you!

I totally know what you mean about being somewhere and forgetting or not being able to take pictures. I did that in Montana. (Btw... I need your address again.. I really did pick up Nevada postcards for you)

On a quilting note, my sweet Galen CHEWED two places on the quilt that Jo made me!! I could have cried. I've been sleeping with that quilt because... well, because I miss her so much. It's nothing fancy, but it's HERS. *sighs*

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh wow! To see her art in real life must have been amazing! Lucky you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home