Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Yarn shopping...

Yesterday was my day to find new yarn shops. On the way to Concord got to stop at The Fiber Studio. They were not open but they actually opened the shop for Tammy and I. What an awesome place! Just beautiful yarns and samples of gorgeous items that had been either knit or woven. Ended up buying some Lamb's Pride Bulky that I am going to use in an attempt at making a felted purse. The color is Mulberry and very pretty.

Once we got to Concord it was off to The Elegant Ewe. Great shop! I was in heaven...for the second time in one day! Bought some lovely red sport weight 100% Alpaca Wool for the snowboarder's hat I am going to make for Scarlett. It feels so very soft...and I think this will be a great yarn as she seems to dislike 100% wool as it makes her itch.

Knitting was a passion of mine when I was in my early to mid thirties and I used to knit beautiful sweaters, dresses, coats and afghans. But, then life took over and I went on to other things - like quilting. So for the last maybe twenty years I have not done much with knitting other than some cotton wash clothes, a couple of mild weather sweaters (cotton yarns) and a few afghans from some older yarns that I had. (In case anyone remembers companies like Brunswick and Unger to name a few)...and I have to admit that I am like a little kid in a candy store when it comes to yarn shops. Knit shops in the area I lived in Tennessee were not even available. The year we moved here to New Hampshire a knit shop opened up.

I am flabbergasted by the gorgeous hand dyed, hand painted yarns...the alpacas - you just name it and I want it in my collection. The yarns are so different...one looks at yards now or grams (not number of skeins). Patterns are now written with these...so, it is like an entire new ballgame - but, guess what - I'm here to play!!!!

2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I haven't heard Brunswick since the 70's. I've been quilting now for 25 years, and I am taking a long break from it. All the wonderful yarns taht are out there, and being able to dye, too. And spin. It all offers so much opportunity for creativity.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are two of my favorite yarn shops! I was at the Elegant Ewe on Sunday, gettting a few balls of sock yarn and some spinning fibers. I'm glad you got to check those places out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home