Sunday, June 03, 2007

May Reading Reviews...

Can't believe I managed to read eight books in May. If that had been after the first of June - I would be almost to my goal in the 2007 Summer Reading Program! By the way, if you want to join up for the Summer Reading Program leave me an e-mail or comment and I'll send you the info.

1) Knitting Rules - Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. 224 pages. Really liked this book...it was witty but at the same time informative. Learned a few things I did not know before.

2) Pretty Maids In A Row - Marilyn Campbell. 384 pages. Been digging in my stash of books and this was a very good book. Enjoy Marilyn's style of writng...

3) Gang Mom - Fred Rosen. 238 pages. True life crime book which was okay...nothing special.

4) 35 Cents - Matty Lee. 206 pages. Biography of a young man who was a male prostitute from an early age. The title reflects what he received in payment for his first paid encounter. The book was a little raw...and it took me a while to read. It was a very interesting book in that you were totally inside this man's head as he grew into adulthood.

5) Without Pity - Ann Rule. 433 pages. True life crime stories by the mistress of true life books. There isn't a badly written Ann Rule book. She is one of my favorite true life crime authors in that she really digs to get all the facts and presents the stories in a very entertaining way.

6) Shadow Walkers - Nina Romberg. 302 pages. I had problems with this book. The book was about a group of children (the oldest maybe around 15 or 16)...who are making a home for themselves in an old abandoned building. My problem was that the heroine who was 11 was thinking in ways that were way too adult for her. The genre was hard to define too ... maybe a bit of "horror" fiction.

7) 79 Park Avenue - Harold Robbins. 406 pages. There is no denying that Robbins was a masterful story teller! I had so forgotten how much I loved reading his books. This was worth the time spent reading it. This well written work of fiction chronicles the story of Maryann Flood and Mike Keyes...it's worth the read.

8) The Wedding Quilt - Lenora Worth. 250 pages. While I've read a lot of romance novels - I had never read any of what are termed and sold as "Inspirational" romances...and it actually was a good book. It is the story of a woman who works at a church and is responsible for bringing in a steeplejack to refurbish the church's steeple and in between time fall in love and deal with their own issues. And, while it was religious in nature it was never intrusive.

There you go! Eight books - One month...My book stash is starting to be depleted!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

Way to go! That's absolute amazing, what a literary inspiration you are. I'm finally getting back to fiction, it's been a long, long time.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Wow, 8 books in one month! Even without a tv or internet, that's a lot of books. Good for you ... I use to love reading in the Summer while sitting outside ... no tv there either. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home