Friday, July 13, 2007

Garden Meals...

Three summers ago a flyer that was delivered to my house caught my eye...It was for a program called Garden Meals. The program met once a week on a Wednesday from 9:00 til 1:00...and the cost was minimal - but, the idea was that you spent half the time in the garden learning and picking local fruit and produce. The other half was spent in the kitchen learning what to do with that food that came out of the garden and having lunch together.

Since New Hampshire was a new place for me and I had no idea about how to garden here - I went to the classes. It was so much fun...and I learned way more than I ever anticipated. Last summer I was so looking forward to Garden Meals happening again...only to learn that it would not be happening because there was not much interest from the public.

Then out of the blue the coordinator called and asked if I would like to help out - she had received several grants to work with teens that are in crisis and with handicapped adults. My work was helping in the kitchen which I just loved...and my pay...great produce and fruit from the garden. It was the most gratifying summer experience...

This year Garden Meals is doing the same as last year and I am back in the kitchen...and two weeks in - it has been so fun...looking forward to a great summer with the groups that are attending and spending a wonderful morning in the country each Thursday!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Ann said...

You my friend are simply amazing! I am so proud of you.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful and rewarding experience! Have fun!!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Susan said...

What a great program..and probably even better with you involved in it. You go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home