Thursday, August 09, 2007

Friday...Gloucester, MA

Leaving Salem behind, I continued along the backroads heading to Portsmouth via Gloucester. I know it's really not on the way! What beautiful houses and scenery unfolded before my eyes. There were signs about horse crossings only to find a Polo field right up the road. It was beautiful! Towns with strange names like Beverly or Ipswich...just cool names.

The road I was on dead-ended at the water. All along the water flags were flying and a sign that stated something about Gloucester honors our men serving our country. (Not exact words - couldn't get a photo of the sign). But the view looked like this all the way down the waterfront.

But this is the monument that broke my heart...the woman and children staring at the ocean awaiting the ship bearing her husband. What an honor to the women who kept the home fires burning while their men sailed the sea fishing for a living.

Gloucester has a great history...one I want to learn more about...and I will visit again!!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger His Office, My Studio said...

It sounds like a great place to visit.

If my son Jacob becomes an officer in the Navy that may be me and/or his wife and kids waiting for him to return. I know last December when I saw him get on a Navy Airplane I cried.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures! I've never spent much time in Gloucester but I'd love to visit it again, it's so beautiful!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger BreadBox said...

It does sound like you had a wonderful visit.

Michele sent me.
N.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Hi Sara. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images and reflections. You've reinforced why I so very much love seaside towns. There's a poignancy to life there that just doesn't exist anywhere else.

The waterside monument broke my heart too.

Visiting from Michele's today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home