Monday, August 20, 2007

Movies and Books...

Remember my saying that I was running into a lot of books that seemed to be forgotten in my bookcase?

Case in point...Ira Levin's The Stepford Wives. The book was completed in February 1972 and published that same year. It is 35 years old...and I had never read it. I saw the movie when it came out and the re-make with Nicole Kidman (which by the way I thought was just awful!).

The book is only 145 pages and the movie (original) followed the book so closely. Read it in one sitting...and tonight I am going to watch the original movie which was made in 1975. In case you forgot - it stars the gorgeous Katharine Ross (Sam Elliot's wife) and Paula Prentiss.

"The Stepford Wives remains a legendary combination of chilling chauvinist horror and savage social commentary," so says the DVD container.

Me - I think it is a hell of a good book and movie!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Michelle sent me. I was posting a comment to the blog of the day and your name was above me. I am new to this blogging thing, but am giving it a try. I really enjoyed reading your blogs and the last one about the "Stepford Wives" was great! I agree, the original movie was the best although I haven't seen the re-make with Nicole Kidman as yet. I never read the book, but now I think I might have to. Thanks for blogging and keep up the good blogs!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger michelle said...

i saw the remake and i, too, was horrified. never saw the original and didn't know it was based on a book.. i might have to read that. michele sent me

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I loved Stepford Wives, good fun. Missed the movie remake, but I loved the original.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger barbie2be said...

i never read the book but i have seen both the movies. i hated the remake. no one is katherine ross.

michele sent me. :)

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger BreadBox said...

I haven't read the book, but I remember the first movie very well. Extremely creepy! Haven't seen the new version, and from your review, I don't think that I will bother.

Michele sent me.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

It's a rare movie that lives up to the promise of the book. So often, I'm afraid to watch a movie based on a book that I've written because I don't want to ruin the impression of the work that I've already built in my mind.

Michele sent me back, Sara. Every time she does, I learn something new. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home