Saturday, April 05, 2008

Day Trippin' ... Harrisville...

Harrisville, New Hampshire! What a beautiful trip to get there! The scenery was breath-taking!

Lakes like the one below were the norm. Actually on one road I drove almost all the way around a beautiful lake which was still frozen over.
This lake is on Route 10 right before I turned off onto 123. It was the way Google mapped me - and the scenery just kept getting better and better.
Immediately upon turning onto 123 there was a sign about Moose crossing, then a little further down the road a sign that read: Crossing Deer. Okay, got keep my eyes open for the moose and deer - only to find about 1/2 a mile later a sign with Cows on it!
The road was full of frost heaves. For those of you not from these parts and who have no idea what frost heaves are - allow me to explain. It is when the snow, water, ice gets under the road and it bubbles up - then when it all melts the road sink. Therefore it makes driving on that particular road seem like the worst rollercoaster ride of your life. That's what the above road was like. The speed limit was 35 - I barely did 15!

Never saw a moose or deer! Did manage to see a few cows but they were safely behind a big fence. So, needless to say I was breathing pretty easy when I turned the curve heading into Stoddard - only to come face to hood with a huge turkey. The suicidal turkey was crossing the road to catch up with his 15 or so brothers and sisters who had just crossed ahead of him. He managed to get across tail feathers in tact...and I continued along.

I was finally rewarded by arriving in Harrisville. First stop was the Harrisville General Store. Very nice people there - they along with a nice young man pointed me in the direction of my "reason" for going to Harrisville.

It seems Harrisville is rather a neat little artsy town. Beautiful painting and photos were featured on the walls of the store and were done by a local person. A rack of lovely photo note cards done by a different local was by the register. They also informed me that all the baked goods, soups, and other foods were locally made by the owner of the store.

The town had lots of old brick buildings...and a beautiful brook that ran right across the road from store and my intended stop.

The saga will continue...

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Thanks for revealing why the turkey crossed the street. Otherwise, I will be up all night raking my brains for the answer. :-)

The lake sceneries are spectacular. Winter has a way to making everything looks so clean and prestine.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings via Michele.

Yikes! Ya'll have a lot of snow up there for April. Your trip sound fun though. My family and I have yet to get to New England. We need to plan a trip up there one of these days, if I can get my desert jones satiated.

But it will be in Summer.

Cheers.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Thanks Sara- I enjoyed that trip - informative too. I remember - over 20 years ago - a very bumpy road driving form Vermont to Westchester - maybe that was as a result of snow heaves?
Hi from Michele.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Star said...

Beautiful, but it looks a little chilly for me.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh how I wish I would have been along for the ride! What a neat town it must be and how lucky you are to get to go there. Looking forward to the rest of the saga and glad now four-footed or two-footed beasts were injured :-)

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thats' a lot of livestock!!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Living in northern California I don't get to see beautiful winter scenes like the ones you showed. Thank you for sharing them they are spectacular.

Michele sent me.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Janet said...

That general store looks soooo familiar!

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger flleenie said...

Looks awesome, but cold! Michele sent me!!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Beautiful photos and an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing your trip :)

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am very much enjoying your "tour" and I must say that description of what snow heabes create with the water bubbling up and the road sinking was NEW to me....I have never heard of that before....To drive on a road like that would be quite a challange!

I LOVE that there are many local Artists there making lovely things that one can buy if you are so inclined. It looks like it was a very Beautiful CLEAR day....!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger kenju said...

It looks like a wonderful trip, Sara; one I'd rather take when the snow is all gone! Michele would too!

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to check out the mill in Harrisville! I hope you took a lot of pictures, I can't wait to hear about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home