Sunday, April 06, 2008

Day Trippin' ... Harrisville...Part II...

My intended stop: Harrisville Designs!

According to their website (which you can reach by clicking above), they are a family owned and operated business , "started in 1971 as an effort to preserve and help re-establish the economic vitality of the historic 18th century textile village of Harrisville, New Hampshire."

And, they have done it with style! You should look at the website as it shows that creek I was talking about in my last post as it is right next to their building.

Upon arriving I entered the building and not being sure where to go I went upstairs - and ended up in the classroom. It is huge! A very friendly lady asked if I had been to the store yet - and when I said no she walked me back down the stairs and opened the door to this:

The store is beautiful! There are no other words to describe it. Gorgeous wooden floors! And, yarn, looms, wheels, and knitted samples everywhere! The other thing I noticed was that it was clean - there wasn't a speck of yarn or anything on the floors.


The above case showcases their New England Shetland (100% pure wool). The colors were gorgeous! It was like be still my heart. Most of the yarn that is in the store is made right there in their mill - they did have a few other yarns that they do not make (like one of my favorites Reynolds Soft Sea Wool).

Orchid Yarns - with Cashmere (25% Mohair, 70% Fine Virgin Wool, & 5% Cashmere) filled this case. It was so soft and so beautiful...but, I was looking for sock yarn ... and this would not have held up. But, it sure would make a great sweater or maybe a shawl.

This shot is taken from the front looking toward the back of the store...there is a nice little area where you can sit and peruse the knitting books. Plus they have their own original patterns complete with knitted samples!

There are Heathered Wool Bulky yarns, Wool Worsted and fingering weight yarns, the Orchid yarns, Flax and Wool Blend yarns, and Silk and Wool Blend plus they have 56 colors of Weaving Yarns and carded 100% Pure Wool Fleece! Their prices are very reasonable!

So what did I buy???

New England Shetland 100% pure wool. The colors left to right - Violet, Bermuda, and Periwinkle.

The day was a really wonderful day - not only did I get to go to store that inspired me - but, I was out in nature looking at the beautiful New England country side. The girls at Harrisville Designs sent me home a different way so I would not have as many frost heaves to contend with. So, I got to see more of the area.

Harrisville Designs is on my list to visit more often!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me over, Sara.

That is a beautiful store. I visited one that looked similar a few months ago in Asheville, NC. I just love the way that the softer yarns feel. Alpaca wool is amazing--but a little expensive for my budget.

Those are some very nice colors that you picked out, Sara.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Sounds great!

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip! Hello, Michele sent me!

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great trip! I'm so jealous! Someday I will get over there for a visit or a workshop or something.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The pictures show what a great store it is!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh what a great day trip! All those colors practically have me drooling!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

What a beautiful cozy store. I've never been to Harrisville ... but now it looks like a "must go" destination!

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yum, I love Harrisville. I bought my Kromski from them and they're a wonder group of people. Oh yeah, the yarn's pretty good too. =cp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home