Thursday, August 14, 2008

Boston with Ann and Dave...Part Two...

Day Two in Boston:

We met up with Dave around ten - and by this time Dave had already done his laundry and taken Dusty to the vet! - you know he is a real early bird!!!

This trip to Boston was very different for me - I got to see things I didn't even know were there - it was an experience to see a different part of the town that I have so grown to love.

We started out - at a couple of graveyards. I find it amazing that there are these tiny graveyards stuck in the middle of these huge skyscrapers...We saw the graves of Sam Adams (not the beer guy), Mother Goose and Benjamin Franklin's parents.


Next stop was the Paul Revere statute and the Old North Church in the background - (yep - the "one if by land, two if by sea" spot!) We saw his house and it was just so plain...but the sense of history was all around you.

We went through the largest Farmers Market I have ever seen - Dave was telling me that the time to arrive is very early in the morning. The prices were so cheap - $1.00 for a bunch of really nice looking asparagus. Let me tell you it was crowded!!!

One of the most inspiring places we stopped was at the Holocast Monument. I was so touched by what I saw...the words along the path, the numbers that filled the plates of glass - knowing that each number represented a person. What an crime against humanity...how could someone so evil have lived on this earth! It really shook me up!
Fanueil Hall was on the tour! As always - there is an excitement both inside and around the building with all the restaurants and shops bidding for your attention. We wandered inside and outside! An awesome lunch in the North End awaited us - at this darling restaurant...You see that table that I took a photo of? It has a special meaning to me - when my daughter, Tara, was in Boston a few years back for training with her company, we went up to spend the evening and next day with her. We ate dinner sitting at that very table! I never thought I would find the restaurant again - and we picked it for lunch quite by accident.This would be the lovely pair of socks which Dave gifted me with (there was another pair for Ann). I love them...my color and they fit perfectly! I was so surprised...and thrilled! And check out the packaging!
The Christian Scientist Plaza was a spot I had never before seen...what gorgeous buildings! And, to think this covers such a huge area of Boston - again - amid all the skyscrapers one finds these plazas, graveyards, and parks. It is truly awesome.Ann and Dave on the bus (I am sitting across from them) - I've done the subway (or T) throughout Boston - but, this was my first time riding a bus. We went over to Cambridge - to Central Square! From there we walked up to Harvard Square taking in the scenry, shops that looked interesting, and just in general talking, laughing, and having a great time!

It was soon time for Dave to head back home - so we got a few shots of us together at a cute little mall called The Garage...


Ann and I wandered over to the area near the T stop in Harvard Square where we sat and listened to these two guys (Killam and Lloyd) playing music and people watched. They had their CD for sale for $4.00 and I got one as a reminder of my time with Ann and Dave in Boston.

From there it was off to the Dolphin Restaurant in Harvard Square for dinner - I had the best tasting Rainbow trout!!!! Oh, it was sooooo good.

Sunday morning dawned way too early and it was time for Ann's flight - scheduled for 11 AM - which ended up being 9PM - she had her knitting with her - and I had a bus to catch back home - so around 11:00 I left her to wait for the plane and I headed back on the Silver line to South Station and the Dartmouth Coach home.

It was a wonderful time with dear friends...and one that I was thrilled to share.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Janet said...

My grandmother was very involved in the Christian Scientists ;-)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Susan said...

What a lovely day. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger gemma said...

Great travelogue -- isn't Boston the most fabulous city ever? I have always thought so.....loved your pictures and your appreciative comments.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a fantastic time. I'm glad I could be a part of it.
Hey, I didn't realize Ann's flight was delayed for that long. She should have called and we could have had her over for the day. That's too long to spend in any airport.
And, glad the socks fit, it was a total guess on the size. ;)

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

What a great trip!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Oh, I want to go back to Boston again! :)

Did you see the Map Room in the Mary Baker Eddy building? It's a 2 story stained-glass globe that you walk into!! :)

~S

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I am sooooo far behind on my reading. Sounds like a terrific time you had. Good for you. Keep smiling. And don't forget to knit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home