Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Corner of The World...

Last Monday night (November 10th) the Fiske Free Library here in town sponsored an evening with painter and sculpter, Ernesto Montenegro. It was a fabulous evening as he explained how he makes these beautiful bronze sculptures.

Here he explains how he makes a rubber mold - and shows the components.

Ernest Montenegro lives in Claremont and his work is in gallleries and cities around the world. His hand is on one of my favorite pieces that he brought with him that evening - it is called "Telephone Booth". There was another sculpture which I just loved - but, did not have my camera. It was a sculture he designed of witches that were hanging. What was so interesting is that when you looked at it from where you were sitting - it was totally different looking than when you went and looked at it up close.

This is one of the other pieces which he brought that evening - it is called Reclining Woman (I think - if I remember correctly...) It was a very interesting piece - the woman looked like she just melted into the chair.

It was a wonderful evening of learning and meeting a very gifted artist. We are fortunate to have him in our small city.

And, a big thanks to Sharon Wood for sharing her photos with me - so that I could share them with you...

Next month the library will feature a man who rescues bears...I'll share about that evening with you when it happens.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Knit Witch said...

Oh no! Hanging witches!?!?! Haha!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hey! I've missed you the last few weeks on Sunday! How are you doing? Just wanted to let you know that there is a "Giving Party" on Tuesday night at 7PM at the church. I am the new Enrichment Leader... we are doing a service project and making some ornaments and stocking for a shelter in Claremont and then a gift swap with each other. There will also be yummy goodies. I would love to see you if you can come!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Very interesting Sculptures...And it seems he has no one particular theme, as many artists do, at times, (Including myself...) It is always so wondderful to hear an Artist talk about his work, isn't it?

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for covering it. Did you tell him you were a blogger?

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

How interesting. I love hearing about how an artist goes about his work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home