My friend, Sonya,
who lives in Tennessee not far from where I lived. is looking for soup recipes...Believe me it is truly soup weather here in New Hampshire as well as Tennessee!
This is my favorite soup recipe - it comes from Garcia Canning Company in Tampa, Florida.
Spanish Bean Soup
1 can Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 medium size onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small ham hock, split in half (if ham hock not available I use a ham steak cut up in pieces)
1 teaspoon paprika
2 medium size potatoes cut in 8 pieces each
1 link Chorizo, sliced (Spanish Sausage or pepperoni)
Few drops of yellow food coloring
1) Put ham hock to boil in 3 quart sauce pan with 1 quart of water to cover hock well.
2) Then add onions, garlic, potatoes, and paprika.
3) Cook until potatoes are almost done.
4) Add chick peas along with the water they are packaged in.
5) Also add chorizo and a few drops of food coloring.
6) Let simmer until potatoes are done (15-20 minutes)
Serve with crackers or hot hard crusted bread.