Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Soup Weather...

My friend, Sonya, who lives in Tennessee not far from where I lived. is looking for soup recipes...Believe me it is truly soup weather here in New Hampshire as well as Tennessee!

This is my favorite soup recipe - it comes from Garcia Canning Company in Tampa, Florida.

Spanish Bean Soup
1 can Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 medium size onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small ham hock, split in half (if ham hock not available I use a ham steak cut up in pieces)
1 teaspoon paprika
2 medium size potatoes cut in 8 pieces each
1 link Chorizo, sliced (Spanish Sausage or pepperoni)
Few drops of yellow food coloring
1) Put ham hock to boil in 3 quart sauce pan with 1 quart of water to cover hock well.
2) Then add onions, garlic, potatoes, and paprika.
3) Cook until potatoes are almost done.
4) Add chick peas along with the water they are packaged in.
5) Also add chorizo and a few drops of food coloring.
6) Let simmer until potatoes are done (15-20 minutes)
Serve with crackers or hot hard crusted bread.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I just made soup today....I think it's called Kitchen Sink Soup (MY name for it). I make a big pot so we have it for a few days or freeze some of it. I used cans of low-fat/low-sodium chicken broth, the carcass of a leftover chicken (with some meat left on the bones that I picked off after awhile). Added a large can of diced tomatoes, a can each of limas, green beans, peas, as well as some fresh carrots and some seasonings that we like. Let it simmer in the crockpot for hours and cooked some pasta in another pot. Added the pasta and it was a hearty soup. The ingredients can be varied according to preference and what is on hand at the time. It IS soup weather in our neck of the woods, too.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Gerry said...

This sounds wonderful! Too funny that I'm making soup tomorrow. What a great find :-)

I see you've been really busy. Good for you.

Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love soup. My favorite is homemade chicken noodle soup with wide egg noodles. It is definitly soup weather here as well. Tomorrow we have a high of -1.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! I'm making soup today in an effort to ward off the cold. Now, if only I could summon spring.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY!! I have the recipe, 11 years of eating it and asking for it, now I have it :).....guess what I will be making very soon.
This is so good and soul satisfying.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I have a great one for kale soup if she'd like!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home