Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Favorite Colors...

My friend Dave asked me about my favorite colors...and in the past I could have very easily answered that question...but, as I have gotten older, I've also gotten bolder with my colors.

I tend to like Brights as they would say in the quilting world. If one were discussing clothing or cosmetics - I would tend to stray toward the cool colors over the warm colors...when I was younger I used to wear a lot of black and white...still love black and white - and intend to make a black and white quilt one day.

I love Purple (obviously - since most of my posts are in purple)...it shows up a lot in my wardrobe...and in my quilting stash...and I especially like light gray and purple. Made myself a dress many years ago that was light gray with purple raglan sleeves. It was my favorite dress.

Red would be right up there too...love bright red...my favorite suit was a bright red one that I wore all the time...it made me feel powerful and attractive. It was a "hey, notice me" color!

I like blue - from light baby blue to dark navy...any blue...my office is painted in an bright white and bold turquoise. I love it...over the years I have moved more toward the colors of the ocean in the blues that I like.

Not big on browns...they tend to make me feel dismal...

I am getting much better about oranges and yellows - especially the bright bold colors that are out now.

We painted our living room when we moved here (it was green...well, it was white with some green sponging on it!) . We chose a bold bronze for the walls and the trim is a dark reddish maroon...turn out beautiful and very Tuscan looking. Scarlett likes that since she has a family connection and history with Italy.

The library, a wonderful room in my house that houses more bookcases (seven at last count), is where I work on my quilting and where the computer is that I use most of the time has one lavender wall...as does the dining room. Needless to say, the library will not be painted anytime soon...:) The dining room will change when we paint the kitchen as those rooms run together. We will be painting the kitchen a great white with sage green trim on all the cabinets. Right now the kitchen is black and white.

I never used to buy varigated yarns - but, now I am all over those - love the hand dyed yarns and all the different kinds of yarns that have these awesome colors running through them. And, there any color seems to be fine...it is a very interesting concept to me...and my friend, Dave has some of the most awesome looking yarns I've ever seen...and he dyes them himself. Beside that, he is an excellent teacher - explaining things on his blog so precisely.

So that's about how I color my world...how about you?

4 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, your color post. I've gotten to be the same way with color, I have NO fear of using it. (I just bought a BRIGHT turquise dress shirt over the weekend. Talk about your attention-getting colors!) I like the Tuscan colors for home decor. I HATE white, that's just a LACK of color. And anything jewel-tone, too.
Thanks, Sara, for posting this!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just love it when people talk about why they like the colors they do. I so love earth tones, greens and golds. I've always been very fond of the Tuscon colors. They are very warm and comforting to me. I have two favorite things in my home: a Presian rug I bought a couple of years ago (Burgundy background with Sage and Gold border), and a coffee table that a friend of mine painted for me. It's a plethora of geometric shapes and wild colors. Color is good. I'm finding that I really like having color on my life. And I agree, Sara, Dave is very talented and has a wonderful eye for color. He's a good friend to have around. As are you.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I find that I am bolder with colors in my craft projects. My house..eh..it doesn't seem to fit the way it did when we originally painted etc. Very blah, and I would really like to dump everything out and start over.

When we built on I was into the whole country decorating theme. My tastes have changed and I think I would like a fresher less cluttered look.

But that would require taking time from really important things like knitting..and it's comfortable and homey.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger His Office, My Studio said...

I hate to say this .... BUT here it comes I hate PURPLE. I have no idea why. I have been a pink and blue person for so many years. It is just since I have started dyeing fabric that I have evolved to a more colorful person. My stash is growing away from pinks and blues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home