Saturday, June 23, 2007

Dancing along...

It seems that Deb has yet another fun thing at her blog... and it involves music. Everyone who reads this blog knows that music is right up there with books, knitting, and quilting in my life...so, I thought I'd play along...

Here are the rules:
1. Go to the
Billboard #1 Hits listings (scroll down and you’ll see them separated by decades on the left in the sidebar)
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year
4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you
5. You know the drill - if you wanna play along - just leave me a comment and I'll got check out your blog to see your answers!

I was 18 in 1964! Mercy, that was 43 years ago...but, I still remember the music as if it were yesterday.

1. You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling by the Righteous Brothers. Who can forget the blue eyed soul boys! That song still gives me chills. None of the songs on my list were there because I was in a teenage relationship - I didn't date much in high school...and September of that year was my first year in college...which I hated. I quit after that year. (ended up going back to college when I was 36 and my little girl started school.)

2. Oh, Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison. Everyone thinks the title of that song is just Pretty Woman - and Roy Orbison. There wasn't a woman in this world that didn't want to "be the one" in that song. What a feel good song! I always felt like he never seemed to get the "star" status that he truly deserved. That seems to happen when a group of singers come out at the same time...and he was in that mix with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and a few others.

3. Baby Love by The Supremes. Teenage angst at its best! This was the sing out loud at the top of your voice song...I can remember going to the drive in restaurant in town and all the radios tuned to "our" station and hearing that come on the airways. Just can't beat forty cars full of teenagers singing along.

4. I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Beatles. The boys from across the Pond brought all the "I wanna sing-along" songs with them. Everyone wanted to hold their hand! The song was snappy and fun to sing...still can sing it!

5. She Loves You by The Beatles. "She loves you, yea, yea, yea!" Another crank up the radio and sing at the top of your voice songs. There was just something about the songs from that era!

And, all of the artists are still among my favorites to this day...I have either albums (yes - I do own those), cassette tapes, and cds of their music...it was a great time and great music.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, this is a hard meme. I was 18 in 1970 so we're going a long way back. I can't remember why these songs were so important to me.

Bridge over Troubled Waters-- It sort of solidified what was going on politically in the US in 1970.

The Long and Winding Road-- can't honestly remember why.

Ain't no Mountain High Enough--Still one of my favorite songs. Talk about maing you feel good. It's the perfect love song.

My Sweet Lord. George Harrison brought the idea of different faiths into my life with this song.

Let it Be...the anthem for peace.

Michele sent me.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is an interesting MEME...Music is a HUGE part of my life and I just may do this...If I do, I'll let you know!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Deb R said...

'64 was a good year for music! These are all excellent songs!! So glad you played, Sara. :-)

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger amy said...

I popped over from Deb's blog. What great songs. In 1964 I was still 9 years from being born, but I can sing along with all of the songs you listed. What a good year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home