Saturday, October 06, 2007

New book...

Yesterday a new book I ordered arrived...Alzheimer's: Forgetting Piece by Piece. This book contains the photos of the 52 quilts that are traveling the country to raise awareness of Alzheimer's Disease.

These quilts were designed by people who have been affected by this miserable, dreadful disease. Each quilt had to fit inside one of those cardboard priority mail envelopes...with a maximum size being 9" x 12".

The above link will lead you a site where you can see a few of the quilts. For more information you can also go to
http://www.alzquilts.org/ Ami Simms has brought a world of information to all of us.

I cannot tell you how this book affected me...but, let's just say that it had a tremondous impact on me.


My mother suffers from a form of Alzheimer's which at times has caused her to not know who I am...her short term memory has its days - but mostly she doesn't remember things. Thankfully, her long term memory is still fairly well intact.

Hopefully, this disease will cease and more monies will be funded to help those who have it or who will get it.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that is really quite a thing. yay for awareness!


Michele sent me over to say hi and make sure that everything was okay here.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going too to look into that link. I like the idea od creating awareness this way.

Michele sent me here to give a hug to your mother.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Pirate Princess said...

Oh I'm sorry you mom has that dreaded disease. It's a hard one both on the individual and the family.

Thanks for visiting! :)

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I watched my grandmother descend into the depths of Alzheimer's. She started to exhibit symptoms when I was very young, so in many respects I grew up in the shadow of this insidious disease.

I admire your strength in sharing your mother's - and your - experience here.

Visiting again from Michele's.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Thumper said...

My dad is starting down that long, lonely path. He's good at recalling things that happened 40 years ago, but yesterday--not so much. His confusion is compounded by being 90% deaf now... Seeing someone who was once so strong now so vulnerable...

I totally get the need for the quilt.

Here via Michele's today.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a wonderful book, in every way...! The quikts that were in the pictures on the site are incredibly touching and beautiful.
Thanks for telling about it and thanks for your visit, too!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger craziequeen said...

I was a carer for a dementia sufferer for a year or so. The four children were a handful, but their dementia suffering grandmother was way more work - and far more frustrating. She broke her son's heart daily, without meaning to.

I dread dementia - luckily it doesn't appear to run in our family.

Michele sent me to say hello...

cq

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger November Rain said...

michelle sent me this is interesting


ignorence isnt bliss in somethings

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Susan said...

What a marvelous book. I saw the AIDs quilt when it was on the Mall in DC..the last time that it could be shown all in one place as it was getting too big. This hits me in the gut as that did. Wayyyy powerful.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

My grandmother had alzheimer's. It was rough on her in a lot of ways and liberating in some others. But mostly sad. Thanks for posting about the quilt(s).
~S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home