Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ten on Tuesday...

Ten Things You Didn't Like About School


1) Algebra/Geometry - I just was never any good at seeing that or getting that concept! It was awful. I struggled with it. Now when I quilt I use those concepts all the time and I get it! Go figure!!

2) Phys Ed - I hated Phys Ed. Not being athletic no one ever picked me for the team and was always the last one left standing to hear the people on the team I would end up all groan! Guess who became a sports writer? Go figure!!

3) Cruel Teachers - Some people are not meant to teach children...they need to find another line of work. In the 6th grade - the music teacher kicked 7 of us out of glee club because we could not sing well and we were ruining "her" program.

My 6th grade teacher, Ms. Davidson, took us under her wing and taught the girls how to embroider and the boys how to carve. On the night of the glee club program - she proudly presented what we had done for all the parents to see.

4) Homework - Even though I was good at getting my homework done most of the time it was a chore. Really would have been more fun to curl up with a book that was more entertaining.

5) Cliques - Usually divided into the "haves" and "have nots" - whether it was money, looks, social status. Kids can be cruel to other kids.

6) Football games - Hated the Friday night football games. It seemed like everything revolved around football. I didn't understand the game and had no one to really teach me about it.

7) Not having a car - we didn't own a car. Neither my mother nor grand-mother could drive...although Nana did buy a car and tried to learn how to drive it - she wrecked it within two days of owning it. Actually, the first car my family owned that was actually driven was the one I bought when I was 21.

8) Not being able to wear pants or jeans to school. The only time we could wear pants to school was in the winter if it got really cold - and guess who lived in Florida! It rarely got cold enough! Kids now don't realize how lucky they are that they can wear pants, jeans, whatever they want.

9) School dances - were they the pits. The girls on one side of the room and the boys on the other. And, if you weren't popular, pretty, or whatever the latest criteria was, you didn't get asked to dance much.

10) College Prep tests - which were a bear. And, usually took two full days of sitting in a cramped auditorium.
You can find the 10 on Tuesday here!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger tjohn said...

Wow, I can't believe your music teacher did that. Go Ms. Davidson!!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Chrissea said...

I would have to say I agree with ALL of these! Thanks for the visit earlier... I sent him an email, telling him exactally how I felt! I don't know if I still have a job.... LOL - but what is supposed to happen will.
Michele sent me back to you.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Oh wow, I can so agree to this list. I'm so glad I don't have to go through that anymore.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

All ten of these are right on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home