Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My daughter's quilt...

Tara's quilt is just about finished. It has been quilted - by my friend, Colleen. I had begun to hand quilt it - but, it was going to be at least a year before it would be finished ... and with the size of the quilt - I felt that machine quilting it would be best.

Showing it off for at the guild meeting where Colleen delivered it that night.
The quilt is a almost a king size one - well, it fits on top of a king size bed - and my daughter has a queen size bed - so, it will hang over the side.
There is a record of the number of pieces in this quilt, but I don't have it handy - none of the colored fabric blocks are the same...none! Now the binding will be added (again - none of the fabric will be the same as is in the quilt already) and a signature block will be added to the back - with a border of 2-1/2 inch squares surrounding it - they won't be the same fabrics as are already in the quilt either...

Hopefully, it will be in the mail to her in the next month.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Oh, just absolutely beautiful!!!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's really wonderful! You should be very proud.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Whoops, that was me not sock. Sock is the sock madness gmail account that I was just in. Sorry about that!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

That is just BEAUTIFUL! Gee ... I wish you were my Mum.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive!

~ Another Colleen

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Knit Witch said...

Wow!!! You did a great job!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Absolutely stunning, Sara! I'm sure she'll be ecstatic over it!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger gemma said...

Fabulous! and that's the truth!

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt, Sara! And I'm amazed that you even attempted hand quilting something that size.

I'm Erinyes on Ravelry-Stitchwitch was taken.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah! That's beautiful! And the fact that it's also a fabric archive of fabrics from this time period. Congratulations on nearing the finish line with it as you get the binding done.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Ming the Merciless said...

Excellent work!!

I have two beautiful quilts. One was made by my aunt in Charlotte, NC. It's simple and delicate so I don't use it too much. It's in the linen closet. My aunt said I CANNOT wash it in the machine. I will have to bring it to the cleaners if it needs to be clean. Oy, imagine the dry cleaning bill on that one.

The second one is a beautiful (mass produced, I assume) quilt I got in Paris in January 2006. I use it to cover my unmade bed when I have company over. Who makes the bed anymore? That is so 16-years old when mom tells you you HAVE to make your bed. :-)

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt. Your daughter is so lucky!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Bugsy said...

Love it! Absolutely gorgeous!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Its gorgeous Sara! She will love it!

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is Magbificent Sara! A True Work Of Art....I wish we could see some close-ups of all those varied and many colors! This is truly AMAZING!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

That looks great!
I have the itch to quilt lately... I'm stuffing that down though!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Anna M. said...

WOW Sara! That quilt turned out just beautiful...you should be so pleased with yourself. I'm sure you're daughter is just thrilled! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home