Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Emergency Surgery...

No, not me...

But, my baby, Killian!

I mentioned that perhaps he had a stone or something - and that he looked better. Well, yesterday - things went down hill.

About 2:00 in the afternoon - he went into the bedroom and laid down on the floor right next to the bed. Went in and checked on him...and he seemed fine. But, I noticed he had not eaten much breakfast.

Around 5:30 I left to go quilting - he was still in the bedroom. When I got back at 9:00 PM - he usually meets me at the door - but, no Killian.

He was laying in the same spot as when I left him and had not eaten another bite. I called Scarlett and Elizabeth - and they asked if I could pick him up - I did and he let out the most gosh awful scream that I have ever heard...even Elizabeth heard him and she didn't have the phone. Scarlett did.

Then I saw the blood - all over a bag that was sitting next to where he was.

They rushed over - and we called the vet and took him right away. Seems somehow he got an abscess on the left side right above his tail...it was a mess...they had to give him anesthesia so that they could see how bad it was...and since he was out - they were going to fix him all up.

I called at 8:00 a.m. as instructed -- they have him all sewn up and are giving him meds! He also has a drain that has to be cleaned out twice a day. They suggested he stay until Saturday - because he was a little grumpy this morning and it took three people to hold him down.

Visiting hours were at 3:00 pm today. He looks so sad! He has this drain coming out of him; he is all shaved on his left hind side; and he is wearing this little hat thing so he can't turn his head. And, he was ticked off! I've never heard such sounds coming out of him...he was not a happy camper!

All I can say is thank goodness that he will be better soon - and for an emergency only credit card!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Oh, how scary!!! I'm glad Killian is ok, man!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger gemma said...

Glad to hear he's on the mend...what's worse.. sick kids or sick pets....I don't think there's an answer to that. You have had enough haven't you? Healthy times ahead we hope.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

OMG I would have totally freeked out!! So glad he'll be ok!!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh my goodness - he must have been so scared! And as for you, great big hugs!

I hope he is feeling better and home real soon.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Knit Witch said...

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear that! But I am glad to hear that the emergency surgery was not due to stones. That would be even worse. Abscesses usually resolve pretty quickly in cats and are not recurrent (like stones are) so yay for getting him into the vet and getting him taken care of!! I bet he had quite the fever didn't he?? He is a cutie pie - looks like our babies!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Oh, the poor kitty! I'm so glad he's going to be okay.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Poor Killian!!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger amy said...

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! I'm glad you got him to the vet and he's going to get better. How scary.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh poor poor Killian. I hope he's in a much better mood when you see him today.

Once the collar/straight-jacket is off he'll forget why he had it on. But let's hope he doesn't blame your for having to wear it. Blame the Vet, Killian. Mommy just wants you home all better.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Sara, I hope he's going to be alright. That's so scary when things happen to our little ones and they can't tell us with words. Hugs to you both.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Holy Hannah, I missed this post! From what I know of absesses, they generally look worse than they are and cleaning them up usually takes care of them. Fingers and toes crossed this will fix him up!

I hope you are psychologically prepared for the vet bill, it will not be pretty. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home