Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daddy...

My father, George C. would have been 90 today had he lived. He passed away on August 16, 1970 at the age of 51 from complications from what is now called COPD.

I didn't know him very well. My parents divorced when I was seven...I think. I can remember that my mom packed us up and took us back to Puerto Rico, where I went to school at a Catholic school for a few months.

Then my grandmother (his mother) sent for us to come back to Tampa - and I remember my dad didn't live with us anymore. And, I was in the second grade.

When I was 20 I received a phone call asking for my father - and I was taken by surprise to know that he was living across town from us in Tampa. We tried to get to know each other - and I think we made our peace before he died.

It took me a long time to forgive him for never keeping in touch with us or for living in the same town for so long and never looking for us.

That is a photo of the painting I have of him - not sure how old he was in it - but, that is pretty much how I remember him.


I never get through St. Patrick's Day without thinking of my dad...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Sara, my heart goes out to you. What a heartache as a child and then to find that he was in the same town all this time. Did he ever say why he stayed away? I am glad you made peace with him before he died.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

What a sad story, but I too was happy you made peace with him before he died. Happy St' Patty's Day.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I am sorry for the answers you maybe never got...but glad you got to be with him near the end. I'll be thinking of you tonight as I say my prayers before bed.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Sara, he was quite a handsome man...reminds me a bit of my Uncle Fred, actually!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Terri S said...

I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to know your father better, but glad that you were able to make peace with him before he passed. It sounds like you are able to remember him fondly, even though you didn't have time to know him well.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger LINDA BYLSMA said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Good for you for remembering him warmly. He died so young.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

How nice you could make peace with him before he died. Divorce was different then, I know so many people who were adopted by stepfathers when their fathers were in the same town! Interesting...

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's sad. I am glad that you were able to make peace with him before he died. I think Sarah is right about divorce being different then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home