Friday, November 02, 2007

232 Years And Counting...


This is the First Congregational Church of Weathersfield and Meeting House. Weathersfield is in Vermont - cross the line and there is Weathersfield. While riding around on our way to the Alpaca farm, we drove up the road toward the apple picking farm and found this gorgeous church. According to the sign it was established in 1775. The stone wall around the area is beautiful and I still marvel at how these stones are placed to make these beautiful walls.

These same walls are used around what used to be sheep farms. When I asked why the walls weren't higher - I was told that sheep can't jump any higher so they were safe behind these low walls...I have no idea how much truth there is to that, so if anyone knows do share with me.

Seems most of the churches from this era are designed the same way...boxy with nice steeples.

The windows are always pretty and are those small panes...I was surprised when I saw that this church had three doors...guess that's so you can get out quick if you don't want to make small talk with the preacher!
The grounds around the church were very well cared for...with huge mature trees.

All in all - it was a pretty area and felt peaceful while walking around taking pictures.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Very cool looking old timey church. thank you for stopping by my blog today.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Very nice photos! I love the orange and blue contrast. :)

Michele says hello!
~S

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. I would love to spend more time in New England exploring historical places and architecture...

Thanks for visiting me by way of michele!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Really lovely. I read in a British edition of Country Living that in school there, young people can take classes in rock wall/fence building as well as roof thatching. Good to know that someone is continuing to learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home