Sunday, November 25, 2007

Favorites...

Several folks whose blogs I visit have been asking "what is your favorite thing that you have hanging on yours walls?".

Well, as everyone knows I've only been in my new home for about six months - so there isn't much on the walls yet. But, I do have two favorite things up...

The most favorite is a quilt I did - It is called "MUSIC ON THE SQUARE". The quilt was a challenge for a show held each year at East Tennessee State University's Museum. The topic of the challenge was "Mountain Memories: Words and Music". The quilt I created was four blocks which were called "Around the Square" - which I joined together by adding two borders. It was representative of the wonderful free spring and fall concerts that were held in front of the town square. The quilt is hand-quilted by quilting in the ditch around each little square and the large center the quilting is done between the lines of music following the shape of the music. The border has a pattern that I quilted which immediately got lost in the fabric...

This is the second piece of art I have hanging in my home so far. It is a wood cut of a pair of irises on a plank from an old barn. I think they call the wood wormwood.As for yesterday, the checks have been found! And, quite a few boxes unpacked and put away. More work today...

Edited by Sara: The iris wall hanging was found at a Art Show in some small town in Tennessee - and was an actual steal - they only were asking $10.00 for it...I had to have it...

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger sister AE said...

Hello, Michele sent me. I love the iris art. Lovely.

I've thought many times of making a quilt, but I've never taken the leap. I don't want to start a project if I know I don't have time to finish it.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

You are immensely talented. We knew that already, of course. But this seals it.

My favorite stuff on the wall is usually self-made too: I like to frame and hang my photography. It's my form of cheap art :)

Hi again from Michele's.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger craziequeen said...

Michele sent me to see what is hanging on your walls :-)

I love that blue iris work, it's gorgeous :-)

I have very little on my walls, some artwork I bought in Cornwall and a nice Nstive American style print with the words:
'May the Great Spirit watch over you for he knows the paths you walk and he will guide your footsteps gently'
I find that inspiring.

cq

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Very nice quilt. My husband wants to learn to quilt really badly. I need to find someone to teach him.

The irises are very pretty and only $10! I couldn't have resisted either.

Hello, from Michele's.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Deb R said...

Those are both lovely!!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Janet said...

The quilt is beautiful. Love the inspiration for it. And the wood cut is pretty, too....especially for only $10!!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger knitseashore said...

Having art on the wall really cheers up a room! I loved your posts on 5 things to bring loveliness into your everyday life. I need to do that too! Thank you for sharing!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger knitseashore said...

Having art on the wall really cheers up a room! I loved your posts on 5 things to bring loveliness into your everyday life. I need to do that too! Thank you for sharing!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love quilters! My Sil is one and I have a prized raggedy quilt she made for my 60th birthday. Will add you to my blog roll.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I love the little quilt. And you can't beat $10 art work, LOL. My favorite pieces I have hanging are cross stitch pictures I've done thru the years. I should take pictures & post sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home