Friday, December 21, 2007

Answers for Colleen...

One of the blogs that I read all the time is Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes. In my comments about seeing the candidates the other day, she asked me:

"What was Peter Coyote doing there with them? You're not going to tell us what you asked him?"

It seems that Peter Coyote is part of the "Hollywood" contingent that is supporting John Edwards. He stated something to the effect that "they are hitting the campaign trail" to show their support. He was the one to introduce Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Brown.

Bonnie Raitt, then in turn, introduced Elizabeth and the daughter (whose name escapes me), and Elizabeth spoke for about five or ten minutes and introduced John Edwards.

What did I ask John Edwards? I believe my exact question was:

"What do you intend to do about the rights that are being denied to same-sex couples?" I mentioned a few: Emergency Room policies, Social Security death benefits, and Retirement pensions.

He stated that I had only touched the surface - that there are over 1,000 benefits that same-sex couples are denied! He wants that to end...and will work towards having "civil unions" be recognized in all 50 states, get rid of "Don't ask, don't tell", and DOMA.

There were a quite a few people in the audience that must have wanted answers to that question...because when I asked it - they applauded and really applauded at his answer.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me over, Sara.

Things like that are up to the individual states, for the most part, so the President can only have so much input, but there's no denying that the President can set a good example. That's something that's been woefully lacking with the Bush/Cheney Whitehouse administration. You'd think having a daughter who's a lesbian would have awoken Cheney's sense of fairplay--but I guess that's asking too much.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Omykiss said...

Good question and good answer ... michele sent me this time. Happy festival.

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here from Michele's.
Hey it's a small world. Colleen is my Aunt!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger MsT said...

I am a big fan of John Edwards, and an even bigger one of his wife Elizabeth. That was a great question, and an impressive answer he gave - shows he's been doing his homework. I have many friends who are denied these rights routinely, and it must end. Hello from Michele's!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Fluke Starbucker said...

he's only one of the very few sharper candidates.

...but did he actually say '1,000' denied benefits?

1000?

I must write him now to find out what my other 972 are.

oh, and hello, Michele sent me.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele sent me.

There are so many social problems in this country and denying rights to same sex partners is done at a local level. Without a Constitutional Amendment, and since women were never included, it will never happen for gays and lesbians, no matter who is President.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting, I just rote a post about something related to this over at my place. hmm.

here from michele's

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger BreadBox said...

I've known for a long time that I'd support the democratic ticket in this race, but I've been undecided about which person to vote for in the primaries --- for a while I've been leaning towards Edwards: I can be enthusiastic in the general about any one of the top three (or even a couple of others: Dodd, perhaps, or Richardson): but for the primary, I just can't seem to get glued to one candidate over the others.

I wish that they'd spend as much time in and around here as they do in and around there --- and our primary is just one week later! Still, Edwards especially needs a boost before he gets here, so I can understand him focusing on IA and NH....

Michele sent me this time,
N.

ps Good question, and good answer.
And regarding Utenzi's comment, there is a huge amount that the president can do in terms of setting a national tone and agenda, even on issues up to the states!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Interesting. I've been reading but not always commenting. I'm going to send you an email later, Sara. I'll be leaving from Logan to see my parents in Florida early tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home