Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas is in the Air...or Aire...

Ahhhh...Christmas is in the air. The cd player now holds all 16 Christmas and or holiday cds that I own! And, I am actually in the process of playing them. Unusual for me...

I have had a deep struggle this year about the holidays. It was at this time last year that my partner of eleven years and I decided that our life together would cease to be as we knew it. It was a difficult Christmas and New Year.

This year I have chosen to not let the Season overwhelm me - but to rather go with what I am feeling comfortable with. I enjoy sitting down and addressing cards to my family and friends - with some it is the only time that we hear from each other.

My daughter is grown and is living in Arizona building her own Christmas traditions while I hope embracing some of the ones she grew up with. Her Christmas gifts this year have been well chosen to reflect who she has become - a beautiful young woman!

I am refusing to allow the commericalism of the holiday to intrude into my life and have chosen not to become involved in the "I have to get something for this person or that person" - instead I am chosing to celebrate each of my friends throughout the coming year when I have the time to make, create, or buy gifts that truly reflect that person and my friendship with them. (Even though I tried to do that at the holidays each year - it somehow has never felt complete for me - does that make any sense?)

Also, decorations will be sparse in my home this year. I still don't have my apartment the way that I want it - (as you know - you've only seen the kitchen and dining area - because that is all that I am happy with)...and the thought of trying to get a tree in here and figuring out where it will go is just too overwhelming. Once I see how my floor plan shakes out - then next year I will be more ready to explore my decorating abilities (of which there are damn few!).

So let the Season begin...I am all about enjoying family, friends, music, television shows, movies, and the great outdoors this holiday season. I hope you will enjoy the same.

And, speaking of the great outdoors...

These photos of a pretty little Christmas tree farm on Route 5 in Vermont were taken yesterday. Just a few minutes after I took the photos on Half Mile Road. It was gorgeous! Just enough snow to sprinkle white stuff on the trees. Vermont did not seem to get as much snow this week as we did just five miles away in New Hampshire. Go figure!

There is something to be said for that red barn sitting amidst a grove of Christmas trees surrounded by gorgeous white fluffy snow. Ahhhhh....

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger craziequeen said...

Aw Sara, look how pretty those pictures are! You have really captured the magic of winter :-)

Michele sent me to say hi - and if Christmas does overwhelm you this year, we'll all be here in the blogosphere to support you :-)

cq

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your plan for the Christmas season sounds perfect. Take it easy and do what feels right.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful attitude. i think your christmas will be exceptionally nice given the spirit you have.

i am sorry your holiday season was not good last year but it sounds like the changes you made were best for you. that takes courage and i applaud you.

honestyrain

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Very pretty!!
~S

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Thumper said...

A low key, noncommercial Christmas sounds nice. I wouldn't kind that at all..as long as I got presents ;)

Here from Michele's tonight!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I love your non-consumerist philosophy, Sara. Reading this entry made me smile - and inspired me to refocus my own efforts in this regard.

Howdy from Michele's!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Beautiful pictures! I downsized Christmas a few years ago and never looked back. It's made the holiday season so much nicer. I make a few gifts and my family appreciates the special knit things I give them. i think we're all happier without all the stress and shopping and decorating. It gives us more time to spend together.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

I love the red barn! Your snow photos are lovely. I'm dying for some cool weather but I'll have to live vicariously though your site.

Can I do a collection of the snow ones and post it to Beauty...on the weblog?

Honored,

Sheila

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

may your Christmas be the best ever!
here from Michele

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sara. Michele sent me. :-)
I'm living in Sedona, Arizona and loving it here after spending my previous life on the east coast. Funny where life takes us, huh?
I hope you have the kind of seasonal experience that's just right for you this year.
Blessings.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Vermont and New Hampshire--not just in the wintertime but all year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home