Thursday, January 10, 2008

Healthy?...For sure!...

You bet! I've received a few e-mails and comments about the crisp I made the other day...so, thought I would share the recipe. It is awesome...and has no saturated fat or refined sugar and uses whole grains.

I learned about this recipe at Garden Meals this past summer. The recipe comes from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair.

Wholesome Apple Crisp
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold-pressed vegetable oil
1/4 cup maple syrup or concentrated fruit sweetener
1/3 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

2 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons maple syrup or concentrated fruit sweetener
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups sliced apples

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix oats, flour, and salt together in a bowl. Add oil and maple syrup, mix well. Stir in nuts and set aside.

In a small bowl combine water, syrup, spices, and vanilla extract; set aside. Slice fruit and place in a lightly oiled pie pan or an 8x8 inch baking dish. Pout the liquid mixture over the fruit and toss gently. Spoon the oat-nut mixture evenly on top of the fruit. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more to crisp the topping.
There you go...enjoy!

Today's poem: I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers by Unknown

8 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not good at cooking sweet things, but this recipe sounds great!

Here via Michele.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Michele sent me. that sounds delicious!!!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Oh wow, I'll be right over!
That sounds so yummy!
:)
~S

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger jennhx said...

Yummm.... Sounds wonderful! My friend has the book it comes from, and I'm always amazed at the things she makes from it. I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger buffi said...

This sounds fantastic! Being the "health food mom" whom everyone makes fun of, I am looking forward to using this recipe to prove them wrong. AGAIN.

Love your site! I will certainly be back. I'm glad Michele sent me!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Thank you for the recipe. I just bought apples today so I'll be trying this. It sounds yummy.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Janet said...

mmm, this sounds GREAT! I'll try it on Sunday, thanks!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

Hi Sara, a "new" Jersey Girl here stopping by to take a peek at your "A" for the ABC-Along 2008. Even though I didn't find it, this recipe looks absolutely delicious! Yum!

Nice to hear you like New Hampshire. We have thought of possibly retiring there, but first we need to visit and make sure it's for us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home