Tuesday, January 29, 2008

One Book...No...Three Books!

January is proving to be a good reading month for me! Of course, I commited myself to two reading challenges this year - mainly because I wanted to keep better track of what I was reading...and secondly to search my own stash of books to keep from reaching for my "favorites" all the time...

Marley and Me - by John Grogan (A-Z Reading - Author "G")
292 pages

I loved this book! It took me through the gamuet of feelings and emotions while reading about owning this loveable dog named Marley. His antics were laughable and loveable...and at times the story touched me so much I had tears in my eyes. Grogan is a really decent writer - but, then he is a newspaper man! Philadelphia Inquirer, I think. It is worth the read. The only thing I found that I didn't like is that there were no photos in the book. The only photos were on the inside of the cover and that was covered by the book jacket that the library puts on.

Edge of the Earth, Corner of the Sky by Art Wolfe (A-Z Reading Book "E")
240 pages

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos! Some would say that this was just a photography book - but, there was more to it than that. Each section was introduced by some lovely writing (and I can't remember who did the writing) plus Robert Redford wrote an introduction to the book.

What I really liked about this book was that the front section of the book just had the photos - large and gorgeous - with just a small label telling you where it was taken. Then at the back of the book was a section that showed each photo (much, much smaller) with information on where, facts about it, and what type of camera equipment was used and how. Truly enjoyed this book!!!

Challenge of A Lifetime by Barbara Kaye (Harlequin Superromance #433)
(A-Z Reading Author: "K"; Romance Reading Challenge)
298 pages

This was the second book of a three part series about Hamilton House - a large restaurant corporation whose CEO is seeking her successor. Paula Steele is the widow of country singing legend, Justin Steele, and VP of the Nashville Hamilton House. At forty-five she doesn't expect love to coming knocking on her door - but it does in the form of Dane Markham, ten years her junior.

In the beginning she befriends and becomes a mentor to Dane as she tries to help him with his music career...and the story takes off from there. There were a couple of surprises that I never saw coming - which was really good. As romances go this one was rather good. Kaye is a good writer and keeps the interest going.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I wish I had more time to read. :(

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am not familiar with the 2nd two books you mentioned...both of which sound really quite wonderful!
I will look into them...And Thanks!
Marley & Me was wonderful...I too, wish there had been pictures....!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

I don't think I could get into Marley and Me without crying hysterically at the end--but there are two kids' versions now that are pretty cute.

I really need to get moving on my reading. . . so many books piled up, so much of my time wasted in front of the TV.

here from M. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger DawnK said...

Marley and Me was a great book. My daughters and I all read it. I laughed and cried, at different points in the book. If you want to see more pictures, go to

Marley and Me

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger DawnK said...

Pictures are here:

John Grogan's Scrapbook

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Dawn K - Thank you for the links to finding photos of Marley! I so enjoyed them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home