Monday, January 21, 2008

When I was 25...

Two of my friends, Naomi and Shephard, did this fun MEME...the premise is to look at your life and see what five things that at 25 years of age you would never have thought would have happened to you.

Twenty-five - that was 1971 for me...thirty-seven years ago. I had:

already seen a President assassinated;
lived through the terror of being in Florida during the Bay of Pigs and thinking that we were going to be blown to hell and back;
survived Hurricanes Donna (1960), Alma (1966) and Gladys (1968); and,
attended college and had been working since I was 16.

On the music scene Rod Stewart was looking for a Reason to Believe that Maggie May would still be around; Janis was singing about Me and Bobby McGee; Melanie had a Brand New Key, and George Harrison had My Sweet Lord; Three Dog Night was telling us all about some bullfrog in Joy To The World, and Cher was lamenting her past in Gypsys, Tramps, and Thieves. Joan Baez was telling the story of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and in the number one spot, Carol King was telling us It's Too Late.

1) At 25 I never dreamed that I would have a child or that I could love someone so very much! Yet, at 30 I chose to have a child - and had a beautiful little girl who I named Tara Danielle. She was tiny - and it was a difficult labor - with some very scary moments. But, my doctor was wonderful and pulled both of us through. She has grown into a beautiful woman! And, I am still her proud Mommy!

2) At 25 I never dreamed that I would move away from Florida or ever leave the little house I bought when I was 21 and lived in since I was 12! I thought I would grow old in that house...and I sort of did. I never moved from it until I was 52...

3) At 25 I never dreamed that I would live in New England. My relationship with New England goes back to when I was 21 or so...a friend wanted to go home but didn't want to drive all the way back to Boston alone. And, she wasn't about to leave her convertible behind! So, she said if I'd ride along she would pay for me to fly back home. So, I took a two week vacation from my job - and came up to the Boston area. Traveled all over the Cape and Boston...and promptly fell in love with the area.

Once home thought about moving, but the time wasn't right - Boston was just too big for me. So, considered Nashua...but, still was too scared to make the big move that far away from family.

At 52, moved with my partner to Tennessee and spent six years there...then finally, at 58, I planted my feet in New England in the state of New Hampshire...about an hour and a half from Nashua and a couple hours from Boston. Who would have thunk it!

4) At 25 I never believed that someone would have enough faith in my writing to hire me as a writer for their magazine. Yet, that is just what happened during my early 30s! And, I worked for them for several years covering the LPGA (Ladies Professional Golf Association), and the Legends of Tennis. Not only did I write articles but eventually had two or three different columns...did travel writing...and got to go to a Super Bowl! Plus have a wonderful career as an author.

Nor did I believe that I would serve on the Board of Directors for one of the largest writers organizations in the world...and get to travel to places that I only dreamed of: Hawaii; Vancouver, British Columbia; St. Louis; Chicago; New Orleans; and more than once to New York City among many other cities.

5) At 25 I never dreamed that I would ever be in a long term relationship...yet, I was...and while I no longer am...I have no regrets! My life has been filled with love! And much happiness! And, it will continue to be filled with love and happiness and with friends and family that mean so much to me.

So, there you have it!!!

I was supposed to tag five people...but, you know me...I don't tag! So, if you feel like it and want to share your thoughts - leave me a comment so I can go check out your blog...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you would love Hull, the little beachtown in the South Shore of Boston where I grew up.

I learned so much about you with this post. Thanks!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This was GREAT Sara....I really think this is one of the BEST Meme's around...And I think it is because one does learn so very much about the other person...Especially with the perspective of the years gone by....
What an interesting life you have had so far Sara..And I have no doubt, there will be more....much much more to come....!
Where does your beautiful daughter live? Close enough that you get to see her fairly often? I hope so.
Do you still write for these publications? (All questions that you can answer in another post....lol...or not, my dear...)
One other question: Wasn't this an interesting meme to do?

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Wow....I sure learned a lot about you from this one little meme! You've had some interesting exoeriences! My hubby is from So FL and he lived in Boston for several years....he LOVED it.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Nice answers to this meme and that's because you're such an interesting person yourself, Sara. Look at all the "life experience" you've had. And it is funny how we go in directions we never had intentions to or inclinations in going into until the right moment comes along. Until ... things change. I might do this one but oh, the memories I'll have to dig up aren't nearly as interesting as yours. And thinking back to when I was 25 will be a real strain on my brain for sure.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Loved learning a bit more about you :-)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

That's an inspiring life. :) I dont' think I realized you lived in FL. What part? I spent 14 years in Orlando. :) I wasn't sure I'd ever leave there either... but like yourself, am happy I did.
I loved hearing about the music that was playing when you were 25, and about the hurricanes you survived. I never thought to put that! But I could have included several. :) Just part of life in FL.

~S

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I loved this rich view of your life, Sara. I know why you love the Boston region so much. Every time I've been there, I've hankered to sell everything we own and make the move. I love the landscape and I love the people.

I've returned from Michele's to thank you for sharing so deeply.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home