Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Corner Of The World...

My local library, Fiske Free Library, is one of the best libraries that I have ever used. The Friends of the Fiske Free Library often sponsor programs that are free to the public.

This past Thursday night the program was "The Secret Life of Bears". Independent wildlife biologist Ben Kilham, from Lyme, New Hampshire was there to present a slide show and talk about his work with black bears. His lecture is based on firsthand experience raising cubs and observing black bears.

The library was packed - one of the largest audiences I've ever seen - during the programs that I have been attending. And, the lecture and slide show was fabulous. What a tremendous learning experience.

Ben Kilham during question and answer time.

Scarlett and Elizabeth also attended the lecture and ended up buying his book "Among the Bears", which Ben autographed for them. In addition, he also has two DVDs: "Papa Bear" and "Bear Man."

Sometimes it pays to have been on the Library Board - and use the library a lot - as I also met and had my photo taken with Ben.
If you would like to learn more about this extraordinary man and his work with black bears - you can go to his website.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Pat said...

What a great program. I love it when libraries present such a wide range of programs. This man seems like a real gem and I'm sure his presentation was fascinating!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

Public libraries are the best. I need to starting visiting the one in St. George more often. Sounds like a fun lecture.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

That must of been very interesting! I'll have to check our local library and see if there's anything good coming up. It might encourage me to leave the house this winter.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Latharia said...

What a great program! :D

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really neat! I wish our library would do stuff like that.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Laume said...

Sigh, I wish we had a wonderful library. Our community - nay, our entire COUNTY, barely has library services at all. And now with the economy struggling, I'm wondering if it will survive at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home