Thursday, February 28, 2008

Books and Movies...

What else is there to do on a snowy day other than read and watch movies?...(well, I guess I could finish up the last few boxes that need to be unpacked, start on a new quilt or a dozen other things)...but, I felt like finishing a book and watching a movie.

Just finished reading Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher. While the book has a very good plot line - somehow in my humble opinion it fails to deliver. The story centers around Clay Jenson (being one of 13) who receives a set of tapes which Hannah Baker has recorded before killing herself.

There is a lot of teenage angst throughout the book - but, I didn't feel there was enough going on or happening to cause someone to kill themselves...but then who knows how teenagers think. It was just a fair book.

Seems like I've been into movie watching - Checked out the following from my library:

Bridge to Terabithia - second time I've checked this one out and still haven't watched it. Just could not get in the mood.

Stardust - popped it in to watch and just could not get into it. Somehow I don't think I can suspend my sense of reality long enough to watch it...I may try it again though...just not right now. The timing is off for both of the above movies.

Gone Baby Gone - The author of Mystic River strikes again...Must have tried to watch Mystic River three or four times before I could finally get into it...this one looks about the same. I couldn't get the past the scene where the lead actor spends (what seems to be) fifteen minutes calling everyone in the free world a M_Fer. And, I'm no prude - those words have certainly come out of this mouth ... but, it was a bit over the top...

Plain Truth which was a Lifetime Original Movie was pretty good. Starred Mariska Hargitay and it was about a murder in an Amish community.

The Brave One with Jodie Foster. Excellent movie...I really liked it!

By the way - there is still lots of snow on the ground - but the sun is shining and it makes the snow look beautiful!!!!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Janet said...

I watched bits and pieces of Bridge to Terabithia while on a plane w/o headphones...looked good, but I hear it's sad.

I ADORED Stardust, especially Robert DeNiro's part LMAO!

Gone Baby Gone...it put my friend and I in two different camps. If you watch it all the way through you'll know what I mean.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

I didn't care for Bridge to Terabithia because it of the sad ending.

I too really enjoyed Stardust. It was really enteraining (aka a no-brainer). LOL.

Maybe it's time for you to throw caution to the wind and go make a snow angel!

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the 13 reasons book equate to a 13 Thursday post?

I know what you mean about having to get in the mood for a certain movie. I want to be pulled in right away. I didn't like that so many of the top movies up for awards this year were so violent. I don't even want to see No Country for Old Men.

Moxa does smell like pot! Or sage.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

GONE BABY GONE was a good film, but I personally had a lot of trouble understanding Casey Affleck...He speaks in a very garbled manner and has a rather annoying highish monotone of a voice...Not easy to listen to OR understand....So, that made my appreciation of the film somewhat limited, to say the least. The actress that played the mother, Amy Ryan, was quite wonderful, I thought.....
Have not seen either of the first two films you mentioned.....I will have to look them up on Netflix.

I saw THE BRAVE ONE, and I liked it. And as you said, the Violence in that is understandable...!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Shephard said...

Love Jodie Foster. "Contact" is my favorite movie. :)

I felt cheated by the ending of "Bridge to Terabithia"... not because it didn't go where I wanted, but because I thought it was manipulative and done-to-death. Stardust was better for me. :)

~S

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I haven't seen Bridge to Terabithia but I read the book. Made me cry on my lunch hour at work. So..no movie for me LOL

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Maggie Lamarre said...

I luv the brave one it was great...
Visiting from Michelle
Maggie

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Deb R said...

FWIW, I thought both Stardust and Gone Baby Gone were *really* good, albeit in extremely different ways. I recommend to you that they're both worth another try at some point, but I totally get the thing of having to be in just the right mood to appreciate some books or movies. I'm the same way myself. (My dad had been gently nagging me to read a particular book for months now and I have no doubt it IS something I'd like and should read...eventually. But it's a genre I just haven't been in the mood to read recently.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home